Jamaican Style Slow-Cooked Lamb Curry with Okra & Potatoes step by step.
Ingredients for a Slow-Cooked Lamb:
- 1 Leg of Lamb
- 1,5L of hot stock (lamb or vegetable)
- 3 star anise
- 5 allspice berries
- 8 cloves
- 15 peppercorns
- 15 mustard seeds
- small bunch of thyme
- 20g (0.7oz) of fresh ginger sliced
- 1tsp of fenugreek
Ingredients for Curry:
- 50g (1.7oz) clarified butter
- 150g (5.3oz) Okra chunks
- 500g (17.6oz) of waxy potatoes – diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 medium onions
- 2 medium tomatoes big dice
- 400ml (0.42quarts) (vegetable or lamb stock)
- 400ml (0.42quarts) coconut milk
- 0,5 lemon, juice to drizzle before serving
- fresh thyme to garnish
- 3tsp of turmeric
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 2tsp black pepper
- 1,5tsp mild chili powder
- 1/4tsp of nutmeg
- First stage the lamb is on for searing, the leg of lamb over the high temperature of heat, do it on both sides then move to the slow-cooker, pour-over enough stock to cover it all and throw in fragrant spices from the list. Now set the cooker for a total of 5 hours (slow-cooker).
- At the same time prepare the curry, next use a pan to heat the clarified butter and then add the carrots with onions and put on a normal heat for 5 minutes and then slowly increase the heat to brown its color all around
- Now it is time to add curry spice blend and cook to release aromatics followed by potatoes, coconut milk, and stock.
- Next Bring to boil and reduce to simmer. Cook for 25-30 minutes but it depends on the potatoes size.
- After the potatoes are tender next time to add chopped tomatoes, raise the heat and it needs 5 minutes.
- At this point, add Okra and off the heat. Once the lamb is ready, add it to curry sauce and two ladles of slow-cooking liquid. (remember if you don’t like thicker sauce skip this direction)
- Serve it with lemon, chopped thyme, and rice plus some Jamaican beer.
- It is ready now enjoy.
for more recipes please Click Here.